Thursday, May 24, 2007

Techno spiders


Well this is my technorati post. I was not pleased to learn that my blog was going to be invaded by internet spiders as a result of signing onto their service...(If you missed it, the second option to link the blog to technorati was to send the spiders after your blog).
I actually liked the spiders bit to link the sites and found the technotrati experience generally pleasing overall.

Chapter 8 was definitely heavy on the techno jargon. Lots of acronyms like TCP/IP, HTTP and ISDN. Not to mention this doozy, DWDM - dense wavelength division multiplexing. A term used to describe how optical networks are able to boost capacity by using different colors of light which allows them to carry separate streams of data... OK... That was a mouthful.

The book didn’t stop there either. We were pelted with several more abbreviations including DNS, DSL, NIC, FTP and VoIP. I don’t think there is any group that likes to use acronyms more than people doing IT. Having worked in an ISP (they’re everywhere! Internet Service Provider in case you didn’t know) and for a technical helpdesk I have never been so bombarded with strange 3 and 4 letter words in my whole life. I imagine to some it was like they were speaking a different language. Not unlike during class after an explanation of packet switching…. :D

No comments: