Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The rise of the machines


We sure have come a long way in a short time. I can remember seeing my first Commodore Vic 20. My friend owned one and it gave me my first taste of video games. We used to play a game called Gorf all the time. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen... lol

Seeing computers evolve over the years has been fascinating to watch. From their humble beginnings as electronic accounting machines through mainframe then personal computers and finally winding up with the internet era. This transformation has been increasing exponentially as time progresses with the rapid advancements allowing us to do more for less.

I realized technology was moving at a stunning pace but I was shocked to read Moore's Law and the Law of Mass Digital Storage. It is absolutely amazing to think that the doubling of microprocessor power and the halving of its cost is happening so quickly. Much the same as the doubling of digital storage for every dollar spent every 15 months. As we continue to advance into fields like nanotechnology these rates could become even more accelerated.

I sometimes feel that technology is advancing so rapidly that we’ll soon be unable to keep up. It used to take years for a PC to become obsolete, now it only takes months. I sometimes wish for simpler times. Where is that Vic 20 when I need it?

No comments: